Thursday, August 03, 2006

Mother



God realized that he could not be present everywhere. Therefore, he created mothers.

Those wet eyes, which look at my path with the sole expectation that her son would come and make her happy, make her smile. I would wipe away the tears fom her eyes; my very presence would make her feel strong. Her weak body would suddenly get a dose of adrenalin. She would rush to the verandah to welcome me. I would hug her as if I have not met for years, like it was my dying wish just to meet her. Tears would role down my cheeks.I would hastily wipe them off, forcing a smile on my face.

"You are so late, son!"Yes I am mom, I am. I always am.I think I am destined to be late.How unfortunate would a son be who could not see his father in his last moment! How unfortunate would a son be who could not put fire on his father's pyre in spite of being the eldest son.

I was late. Late by a whole seventeen hours.And I am late today.
Should I blame the train or my fate? Here is a lady who has lost her husband barely a few months back. Her only solace are her two sons. And I am late!Shame.

She would let me in and ask me about my health. "Have you checked your pressure recently?
Have you got any headache recently? Have you been getting good food to eat?" Her questions
would go on, without a full-stop.
"And what about your medicines Ma? Are you having them regularly or not?" I would ask.

"Me? What will I do by living anymore? " She would say, with tears rolling down her cheeks. "Some basic responsibilities for which I have to live Then I would go to your father ............. S..O..O..N"

That would tear across my heart. "Look, I dont want to repeat this everytime. You are not going anywhere. I wont let you go anywhere!!!"
An angry son would leave the room in a haste. Immediately after going out of the room, his
limbs would become weak; as if it had no power to stand still. His eyes would turn blood red; oozing out tears.
Then, a warm hand would reach my shoulders.Its my wife. Staying with my mom ever since our baby was born(my baby was born shortly after my father's demise).She sacrificed her own happiness to make me feel comfortable. Being there with my mom when I have to slog at office far far away in another corner of the country.She knows we have the lifetime to be with each other, to share our love and happiness with each other. But right now, our priorities have changed. A wish to give my mother the world of peace and comfort. Not to let her feel lonely, to make her realize her children are still there with her, her pillars of strength.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home